Fly Fishing School - Michigan
Fly fishing is not just our business—it’s our passion and life. We are proud to have been ranked #1 by Field and Stream in 2006. Schmidt Outfitters is the only midwest school with a dedicated classroom, casting pond, and lodging facilities. We are located near the Manistee and Pine Rivers in the Huron-Manistee National Forest in Michigan.
Schmidt Outfitters offers diversified courses for every skill level. We have been teaching men, women, and children the art of fly fishing for over two decades. From a beginners’ course in trout fishing, to spey and advanced casting, to fly tying, we strive to offer a fun and engaging experience. Experienced and seasoned by years of on-the-water instruction as professional fly fishing guides, our school staff has the skill and versatility to teach students at all levels.
You won’t find any hidden expenses in our programs. Our schools focus on teaching students, not selling gear.
Schools at Schmidt Outfitters are all-inclusive: we include meals, lodging, and instruction. We provide all the equipment needed including rods, reels, and lines from a variety of manufacturers.
Here at Schmidt Outfitters, we have built extensive custom school facilities designed to maximize your experience at our fly fishing school. Review our lodging facilities, school location, and Manistee area attractions, meet our dedicated staff and Guides / Instructors, and come join us for a Pure Michigan experience in the heart of the Huron-Manistee National Forest. Contact us now to reserve your space.
Unlock the Secrets of Fly Fishing
Even the most seasoned and experienced anglers will never unlock all of the secrets of fly fishing. Trying to master the arts of fly selection, presentation, casting, and water-reading, as well as learning fish habits, insect hatches, selection and care of equipment can be very intimidating for novices and veteran anglers alike. We cover all of these subjects in a fun, patient wa
Fly Fishing School Courses
- Introduction to Fly Fishing School- $600.00 per student all inclusive
- Advanced Casting School- $600.00 per student all inclusive
- Spey School- $600.00 per student all inclusive
- Professional Fly Tying School- per student includes lunch and materials
- Special Programs- Usually $1,000 per student, prices vary with guest instructors.
- Youth Fly Fishing School- FREE with advanced registration .
- Fly Tying Schools- $90.00 All day class (8hrs) includes lunch, materials and professional instructors. Maximum of 4 tiers per instructor, 8 students maximum.
- We offer individual lessons for fly casting including Spey casting. Our day rate is $375 for one or two students. Our hourly rate is $50 for one or two students. Individual lessons can be arranged anytime, simply call for a reservation with one of our instructors.
2013 School Dates
- Bob Clouser Smallmouth Camp ($1,000 per student). May 30, 31, June 1&2
- June 7,8,9 (introduction to fly-fishing)
- June 14,15,16(introduction to fly-fishing)
- Advanced Casting School August 16,17
- Free Youth Schools....August10th. Registration Required
Frequently Asked Questions
Are women welcome? Yes, approximately 40% of our students are women.
How does the double occupancy work with a mixed crowd? We team up couples, men and women. Our lodging facility accomodates a mixed crowd with private bedrooms for guests.
Are children welcome? Yes, we encourage parents and grandparents to enroll youth with them. We would suggest starting kids at about age 12 in fly fishing, earlier if the child is asking to do so.
Do you do private classes for groups or family? Yes, beside the schedule you see here we are always open for private programs.